By Celani Sikhakhane
The ANC’s KwaZulu-Natal secretary, Bheki Mtolo, says the provincial government cannot continue spending “too much” taxpayer money on King Misuzulu kaZwelithini.
Mtolo’s comments on the controversial Indonsa Yesizwe WhatsApp group come after KZN Premier Nomusa Dube-Ncube fired King Misuzulu’s praise singer iNyosi Buzetsheni Mdletshe on Thursday last week.
“Mdletshe must work for the government until he dies? Is he a king? Is there any kingdom in South Africa that gets over R109-million from a government like the Zulu Kingdom?” Mtolo asked. “It received it this year, which includes legal fees that are still ballooning. Therefore, the same government must pay a pensioner [Mdletshe] who is supposed to have long retired.
“It’s unfair to the taxpayers, the majority of whom are Zulus, that the kingdom should serve and protect,” said Mtolo.
He couldn’t be reached to confirm his comments by the time of publication.
Dube-Ncube said Mdletshe was fired for financial reasons and not for refusing to follow orders from ANC provincial chairperson Siboniso Duma.
King Misuzulu voiced his disappointment over how Mdletshe’s contract was terminated without him being consulted.
The King’s advisers, Philani PG Mavundla and Professor Jabulani Maphalala, have said it is clear that the provincial government is disrespectful to the Zulu nation.
Mdletshe told Scrolla.Africa he was a praise singer for King Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu from 1977 to 2000 but did not get a monthly salary.
He only started earning one when he was put into the government system in 2001.
Mdletshe retired in 2020, but King Zwelithini asked that he continue.
“I think my refusal to abide by the instructions of Siboniso Duma after he grabbed the microphone from the traditional prime minister Reverend Thulasizwe Buthelezi [during the commemoration of the 110th anniversary of King Dinuzulu kaCetshwayo’s passing] might have been the source of this,” said Mdletshe.
“They never gave me any notice. I only received the letter on Friday 19 April, which stated that my contract has been terminated with immediate effect.”
Pictured above: ANC KZN secretary Bheki Mtolo says taxpayers are paying “too much” for the upkeep of the Zulu Royal Family.
Image source: X






