Anita Thebekwana was in the toilet when she heard her three-year-old daughter Likuwe screaming and calling her.
“I thought my baby was just doing what little children do,” said Anita.
She had no way of knowing that her daughter was fighting for her life.
When Anita came out of the zinc sheet toilet she found her daughter in the arms of a man who had tried to rescue the child.
He was passing by when he heard the child’s screams. He saw that the child was being electrocuted by electrical wires lying on the ground.
Little Likuwe was rushed to the hospital, but it was too late. The child died in her mother’s arms at the Masakane clinic while waiting for doctors to attend to her.
In an interview with Scrolla.Africa at her home in Alexandra, Johannesburg, Anita said her daughter always followed her wherever she went.
“I had a special bond with her,” said Anita.
“When I went to the toilet my daughter followed me as she always does. She stood just outside the door while I locked the toilet door behind me. I was still inside when I heard my daughter calling for me.”
“Mommy!” may have been the last words the little girl ever spoke.
Anita said her daughter was her greatest joy.
“I loved her so much. I still can’t believe she is gone,” she said.
The family blames neighbours who connect electricity illegally and leave wires uncovered.
Anita’s elder sister Babalwa said the children don’t understand the danger.
“Children play with the wires and the results are fatal,” said Babalwa.
City Power spokesperson Isaac Mangena said officials visited the family after they were informed about the incident.
“We will be back at the yard where people have illegally connected power to remove all the izinyoka cables. Residents must not connect wires illegally. Not only does it cost the city millions but it is dangerous,” he said.