Everson Luhanga

A mother’s plea to the police for help for her intellectually disabled son has ended in tragedy.

The police were supposed to help get Tshepiso Adoons to hospital.

But instead they allegedly shot and killed the 22-year-old man in his shack in Rabie Ridge near Tembisa, Ekurhuleni.

A witness says he was seated on the floor and posed no threat.

Speaking to Scrolla.Africa from her home, Tshepiso’s mother Melvis Adoons said she received a call from her mother at home that Tshepiso had become violent.

“This has happened before and we sometimes seek professional help from the police who know how to handle such instances professionally,” Melvis said.

After calling the police, she immediately left work and went home to join the police. She found them struggling to handle Tshepiso.

“He was pushing them away and locking himself in his shack. 

“We were asked to sit in our neighbour’s yard while they tried to get more assistance from other officers and the paramedic officials,” she said.

But while she was in her neighbour’s yard, she heard people screaming that Tshepiso has been killed. 

“I immediately dashed out of the house to see what was going on. Tshepiso was lying dead in a pool of blood,” she said

A witness Tinashe Mtandwa said one of the policemen used pepper spray on Tshepiso.

And while Tshepiso was trying to rub his eyes, the officer allegedly reached for his gun and pulled the trigger.

“Two shots went off and there was silence in the shack. Tshepiso was killed,” said Tinashe.

Tinashe’s 62 year old gogo Annah Selebedi said “he had no weapon in his hands. Not even a spoon. He was shot while seated on the floor with painful eyes from the pepper spray in his eyes. I am so heartbroken”.

The family said Tshepiso was a peaceful man. He loved music and watching sports like soccer.

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) Spokesperson Ndileka Cola confirmed the incident.

“The IPID investigators attended the crime scene, which is the deceased’s home.”

Ndileka said the preliminary investigation indicated that the deceased was fighting his family and the family members called the police officers. As alleged the police officers arrived at the scene and there was minimal cooperation from the deceased.”

The investigation into this matter continues.

Scrolla World Cup Quiz