By Lungani Zungu
Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana has announced a R1 billion lifeline for thousands of recent flood victims.
But the R1 billion will only be available next year, Godongwana said during his budget speech on Wednesday in Parliament.
However, there are funds available from last year’s allocation.
“In relation to the recent floods and the national disaster declared in various provinces, R695 million is available in this financial year for immediate relief.”
He said victims who were left homeless in flood-hit provinces must access the emergency relief fund for temporary accommodation and food.
The recent floods left a trail of destruction in at least seven provinces: Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, North West and Limpopo.
Following this, the government declared a National State of Disaster, “to enable an intensive, coordinated response to the impact of floods”.
Hundreds of people – including children – were left homeless, cattle died and at least eight fatalities were reported.
This came while KZN was still picking up the pieces from the devastating April floods that resulted in more than 440 fatalities.
Some victims of the earlier floods are still housed in temporary shelters in Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
Godongwana said the relief on offer will be two-pronged: one will be for immediate relief, while another chunk will be allocated for long–term repair and recovery.
Pictured above: Finance Minister Enoch Godogwana
Picture source: @TreasuryRSA