Tender-tycoon terminated

By Celani Sikhakhane

Prominent KwaZulu-Natal businessman, Nkululeko Mkhize, was shot and fatally wounded after he was linked to the murder of five individuals in Richards Bay earlier this week.

Mkhize faced allegations of links to a drug cartel.

The massacre occurred at Mkhize’s Ballito Estate residence on Wednesday. 

Francois Schoeman, the CEO of Ballito Estate, remarked on the incident.

“We’re aware one of our residents was embroiled in a criminal case. It’s a relief that our estate is now free from such elements,” he said.

Mkhize had previously caught public attention in 2021 when he gifted R1.5 million in cash at a traditional bridal shower, known as “indishi,” in Ulundi. 

Insiders also hinted at Mkhize’s reputation as a “tender mafia”, particularly in dealings with Transnet.

Colonel Robert Netshiunda, a police spokesperson, reported the discovery of six firearms and over a thousand rounds of ammunition at the scene. 

“Our officers, leveraging intelligence, located suspects believed to be involved in Tuesday’s Richards Bay killings. Upon entering the residence, they faced immediate gunfire from the suspects,” he said.

“The police retaliated, resulting in two suspects, including Mkhize, succumbing to their injuries.”

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) has been roped in for an investigation.

The manhunt for potential additional suspects is in progress.

Pictured above: Businessman Nkululeko Mkhize.

Image source: Sizophila Mkhize.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Recent articles