Police leave victim alone with abuser and tells them to “talk things through”

Everson Luhanga

Bruised, beaten and psychologically abused, Ntokozo Mbatha believed she would get protection from the police – but to her horror, she was sent away to face more abuse.

“Go and talk things through,” a police officer told her when she went to open a case.

Vulnerable and beaten so badly that she could barely see through her swollen eyes, the police would still not offer her protection. Ntokozo said, after taking the abuser into custody, they left her and her boyfriend alone in a room to sort out their differences.

Speaking from her home in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg, the 21-year-old mother of two told Scrolla.Africa that her boyfriend, a taxi owner, assaulted her on Friday. He said she had disrespected him.

“I was with my sister and friends when he joined us. We took my sister to her house on the other side of Alexandra and on our way back, he pulled over and told me I was disrespecting him,” she said.

That’s when he allegedly beat her up.

When they got to the boyfriend’s house, he became more aggressive. 

“He pounded my face as if I was a dangerous animal trying to kill him,” Ntokozo said.

While she was being hit, she feared he would end her life using his two firearms. 

Ntokozo said that this was not the first time her boyfriend had abused her. 

Three months ago, they had an argument at her house. He took her to his house and locked her up and went to get his firearms.

“He came with the firearms and fired a live round at my friends who were trying to defend me, narrowly missing one of them,” she said.

She said when she went to the police on Friday night, she went to the Alexandra police station to open a case and that was when the officer took them to a room and told them to sort out their fight.

“I walked out and demanded to lay criminal charges against him.”

Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele said police are investigating a case of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH)

Makhubele said the suspect appeared in the Alexandra Magistrate’s Court and was released on bail.