Police hunt woman over DJ Warras murder

By Palesa Matlala

  • Police want Hlengiwe Goodness Buthelezi for alleged murder and conspiracy after investigators claimed she sent Victor Majola photographs and information about DJ Warras.
  • Warrick Stock was shot outside Johannesburg’s Zambesi Building after a bitter dispute involving claims that some tenants were illegally collecting rent from residents.

Police are hunting a 40-year-old woman they believe could hold important answers about the murder of popular DJ Warrick Stock, better known as DJ Warras.

Hlengiwe Goodness Buthelezi is wanted for alleged murder and conspiracy to commit murder after Stock was gunned down in central Johannesburg on 16 December 2025.

Police issued a warrant for her arrest on Wednesday and released her picture to the public.

Buthelezi is believed to be the girlfriend of Victor Majola, the man accused of masterminding Stock’s murder.

The case has exposed claims of a bitter fight over money and control at the Zambesi Building, where Stock’s security company had been brought in to provide services.

Investigators claim Buthelezi was a tenant at the building and was part of an informal group collecting rent from other residents without authority.

The court previously heard that the building’s original owner died in 2018 and his son inherited the property.

Rental income later dropped from more than R700,000 a month to about R400,000.

An investigation is said to have found that some tenants were collecting rent from other occupants without paying the money to the rightful owner.

Stock and his business partner were brought in to help manage the building.

They met residents and announced plans to take control of management, introduce biometric access and issue permits to residents.

But investigators say the changes angered people who were benefiting from the rent collections.

Stock was allegedly threatened and later applied for a protection order against six people, including Buthelezi.

The threats are said to have continued during court proceedings linked to the protection order.

Then, on 16 December, Stock returned to the Zambesi Building to restore security cameras.

According to evidence previously presented in court, Majola and two other men were sitting near street vendors outside.

Stock later came out and stood near his vehicle while speaking on his phone.

A witness allegedly heard Majola tell the other men in isiZulu: “Nangu lomuntu,” meaning “here he is”.

As Stock finished his call and turned towards the building, a man wearing what was described as a Rasta hat allegedly opened fire.

Stock was shot several times.

The men fled on foot.

Investigators say nearby security camera footage showed Majola arriving with the alleged shooter and sitting with him before Stock was killed.

They were also allegedly seen leaving together afterwards.

The investigation then turned to phones and messages.

During Majola’s bail application, the investigating officer told the court that Stock’s personal information, including details connected to him and his address, was found on Majola’s cellphone.

Investigators claimed the information came from Majola’s girlfriend, identified as Hlengiwe.

Data extracted from Buthelezi’s phone was also said to show that photographs and information had been sent to Majola.

The court heard about a voice note in which the group allegedly worried about whether police could find damaging information.

“She said everything had been deleted,” the investigating officer told the court.

Police received information on 22 December that Majola and Buthelezi were hiding in Soweto.

Majola was arrested at a hostel in Meadowlands, where police said he was found sleeping with Buthelezi.

Several phones were seized.

Investigators later claimed Stock’s vehicle registration documents and documents belonging to his business partner were found on Majola’s phone.

Majola, 44, remains behind bars after being denied bail.

He faces charges of premeditated murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

His case in the Johannesburg High Court was postponed for four weeks on Wednesday after his lawyers asked for time to secure money for his legal representation.

The National Prosecuting Authority opposed the delay and said the state was ready for the case to continue.

The hunt for Buthelezi comes just a week after the alleged gunman reached a plea agreement with the state that will see him serve an effective 25 years in prison.

Gauteng police spokesperson Captain Tintswalo Sibeko said detectives from the Provincial Investigation Unit for Serious and Violent Crimes need the public’s help to find Buthelezi.

Anyone with information about her whereabouts can contact investigating officer Detective Sergeant Nengovhela on 082 967 9362.

Information can also be given anonymously through the MySAPS app or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

Pictured above: Hlengiwe Goodness Buthelezi, who is wanted by police in connection with the murder of DJ Warrick Stock.

Image source: South African Police Service

📉 Running low on data?
Try Scrolla Lite. ➡️
Join our WhatsApp Channel
for news updates
Share this article
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Recent articles