A man famed for delaying tactics, Jacob Zuma has launched an application seeking for his Arms Deal corruption trial scheduled for Monday to be postponed for a week.
Zuma’s lawyers argued that they couldn’t meet with him due to the riots – carried out in his name – that gripped KZN and Gauteng last week.
In a statement on Friday, the Office of the Chief Justice said the matter will be held virtually.
But the Jacob Zuma Foundation disagreed, saying it wanted the matter to be held physically.
Its spokesperson Mzwanele Manyi, said they wanted Zuma to be released from prison to appear at the Pietermaritzburg High Court.
If not held in person, the foundation asked that the matter be put on hold until it can be heard in person.
Zuma, who is facing 18 charges from the Arms Deal, was also fighting to have the charges against him thrown out of court.
Zuma has called for the recusal of state prosecutor Advocate Billy Downer SC.
He chucked a series of bizarre allegations into his application, including that Downer had allegedly conspired with US spies from the CIA.