Induna arrested for setting alight master burglar

Lungani Zungu

The family of the slain Nkosi Xulu are calling for the maximum sentence for an induna who has been arrested for his murder.

Nkosi was allegedly kidnapped and set alight on 13 December after he was accused of masterminding break-ins and other crimes in Emasangweni village in Melmoth, KZN.

The 58-year-old induna, who cannot be named because he has not pleaded, was arrested on Sunday along with three brothers, Mankomane, Njabulo, and Phiwayinkosi Biyela. The brothers, all in their 30s, pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and kidnapping in the Melmoth Magistrate’s Court last month.

Nkosi’s uncle, Themba Xulu, told Scrolla.Africa: “They brutally killed my nephew and our induna was leading the charge. They must pay for their sins.”

Themba agreed that his nephew was not a saint but said the suspects should have reported the matter to the police.

“No one is allowed to take the law into their own hands. We want them to be handed life imprisonment for their crimes.”

He said the harrowing screams of his nephew pleading for mercy on that Sunday afternoon still haunts him and his family.

“My kids are traumatised. It’s painful to have a family member being burnt alive,” he said.

“It’s difficult for me to sleep. This is a terrible pain for the family to endure.”

Provincial police spokesperson, Captain Nqobile Gwala, confirmed the incident.

“It is alleged that on 13 December 2020 at 13:00, a 26-year-old man was kidnapped from his home. He was allegedly set alight by the suspects,” said Captain Gwala.

Picture source: SAPS