Gauteng had enough time to prepare themselves to handle the third wave of coronavirus infections, but completely failed to do so, the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC) co-chairperson has said in a TV interview.
Professor Koleka Mlisana said: “This is a failure by the Provincial Department of Health as it did not prepare when it should have. We are in a serious crisis if you look at the numbers.”
The latest report by the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) indicates that SA recorded close to 17,500 cases in the last 24 hour cycle.
Of these, Gauteng recorded a record-high 10,806 cases, which is about 62% of the total.
Mlisana went on to say that a major crisis in the province is the availability of hospital beds in Gauteng, saying the Department failed to follow advice from her committee who requested further beds be made available last week.
South Africa currently has 130,416 active Covid-19 cases recorded with the cumulative number of confirmed cases standing at 1,861,065 as of Wednesday.
Image source: @mymcmurray