By Doreen Mokgolo
Two opposition parties in Gauteng have said the newly appointed provincial cabinet consists mainly of the same old leaders who failed to deliver previously.
Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi announced his cabinet of 10 MECs on Wednesday night, with seven ANC, one Rise Mzansi, one IFP, and one PA representative.
All seven ANC members are returning to the cabinet with minor moves between portfolios.
The party failed to win an outright majority in the 29 May elections, getting only 34%, forcing it to invite opposition parties to help it form a government of provincial unity.
Though there was an agreement with the DA, the main opposition party, which had 26.78%, and other minority parties to form the government, the DA pulled out of the negotiations because it was unhappy with the three cabinet positions it had been offered.
On Thursday, DA Gauteng leader Solly Msimanga announced that Refiloe Ntsekhe, the deputy speaker of the Gauteng legislature, would resign.
Nkululeko Dunga, chairperson of the EFF in Gauteng, said the ANC not being bullied by the DA was a good thing but that the party disapproved of the reappointment of the same old ANC leaders.
“We are unimpressed by the recycling of ANC leadership in government to manage patronage and appease internal factions rather than appointing credible and dedicated individuals,” he said.
“These MECs failed dismally in executing their responsibilities in the previous administration, and rewarding them with positions is a clear indication that the ANC is not serious about changing the material conditions of the people.”
ActionSA Gauteng chairperson Funzi Ngobeni said the newly appointed provincial executive continues the same old politics that has brought South Africa’s economic hub to its knees.
“Gauteng residents should not expect any real change from the provincial government, which prioritises PR stunts over real practical solutions and deployment of skilled professionals to deliver services for the residents,” he said.
“We are concerned about the premier’s decision to centralise the functions of safety and security within his office because if his failed Crime Wardens scheme is anything to go by, the safety and security of residents are at risk.”
Pictured above: Panyaza Lesufi.
Source: Supplied






