The following senior figures in the Eastern Cape have now been struck down by Covid:
- Last Friday the Nelson Mandela Bay former mayor and UDM leader Mongameli Bobani was buried after battling against the virus for three weeks
- In June provincial Social Development spokesman Gcobani Maswana died of Covid-19
- In July the acting Queen of Amarharhabe Noloyiso Sandile died
- Buffalo City Council Speaker Alfred Mtsi also died the same month
- In August a prominent South African cardiologist Professor Lungile Pepeta died of Covid-19. He was health science dean at Nelson Mandela University
On 12 November Premier Oscar Mabuyane confirmed that he tested positive and went into isolation.
On Sunday Mabuyane said he was saddened by the death of UDM national deputy chairperson Mncedisi Filtane, who died of Covid-19 after being admitted to hospital due to low oxygen levels.
The Premier’s spokesman Mvusiwekhaya Sicwetsha said: “Mr Filtane was actively involved in efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19 in our province and he contributed to this effort.
Picture source: @CllrBobani