Baby and parents die after candle sets fire to shack 

By Buziwe Nocuze

An eight-month-old baby boy and his parents died in a shack fire that is believed to have started when a lit candle fell over. 

The three couldn’t be saved from their burning shack in Fisantekraal, Cape Town.

Resident Nombulelo Koyisa told Scrolla.Africa she heard the father of the baby asking for a candle.

“It was around 1am. We had load shedding and he was asking for a candle from one of the neighbours,” she said. 

“I called him and pleaded with him not to use it because they were drunk. I was afraid they would fall asleep while the candle was burning.”

Just a few minutes later, Nombulelo heard someone banging on the shack.

“While we were still asking ourselves what was happening, residents started screaming saying there’s a fire outside. We woke our kids and ran outside. By then, smoke was coming into our house,” she said.

Sadly, the fire was too fierce, and they couldn’t save the baby boy and his parents.

“I wish he would’ve listened to me, but he said they have a small baby and they need the candle. He said even if they were drunk, they would not go to sleep with the candle on,” Nombulelo said.

Western Cape SAPS spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi said the Durbanville police arrived in Fisantekraal at around 1.40am and found shacks destroyed by fire. 

“When the fire was extinguished, [police] discovered three unidentified bodies in the rubble.

Durbanville police [have] registered an inquest for further investigation.” 

Pictured above: The remains of the burnt shack. 

Image source: Buziwe Nocuze


Recent articles