Angry residents threaten more protests over constant power cuts 

By Doreen Mokgolo

  • Residents have blocked main roads since Friday demanding the removal of electricity load reduction and the construction of a promised hospital.
  • Desperate pensioner Zenzile Ngele now uses firewood due to constant power cuts that leave areas without electricity for hours or days.

Angry residents of Daveyton and Etwatwa in Ekurhuleni are threatening more protests over service delivery if their demands are not met.

Since Friday, residents have blocked main roads including the N12, with rocks and burning tyres demanding the removal of constant electricity load reduction, poor service development and construction of the promised hospital.

Load reduction is when the City deliberately cuts off electricity to certain areas for several hours to prevent the power system from completely breaking down. Unlike load shedding, which affects the whole country, load reduction only affects specific areas that use too much electricity.

During their protest, they stopped municipal workers from getting into the area to fix power, collect waste and carry out other services.

Since then, waste has not been collected in the area, and desperate residents have started emptying their overflowing bins at illegal dumping sites, some along the main roads.

A desperate pensioner, Zenzile Ngele, has started using firewood due to constant power cuts.

“This is our new normal life; we have no choice but to go back to collecting firewood like we did when we didn’t have an electricity supply,” she said.

“The electricity is either expensive with added costs like the fixed rates, or it is cut off for hours on end, especially in the evening, and we are told it is load reduction. We sometimes go for days before it comes back on.

“Nothing works in this community; we only hear promises of services which never reach us. Maybe the protest will catch the attention of someone in high office and try to fix the situation,” she said.

Another resident, Thapelo Motaung, said they are demanding infrastructure development and the promised hospital.

“Residents are forced to use Far East Rand Hospital in Springs which we have lost faith in. We fear every time one of the pregnant sisters is referred there, we fear they may not return alive or disabled,” he said.

“Like all the residents of this country we deserve quality services and we will continue fighting until something is done.”

City of Ekurhuleni spokesperson Zweli Dlamini appealed to the residents to allow officials to provide services.

“Though power has been restored in the affected areas, the waste removal backlog still needs to be cleared.

“We condemn the attack on officials and are concerned about the impact on service delivery due to the workers’ fear for their safety,” he said.

Pictured above: Zenzile Ngele

Image source: Doreen Mokgolo

📉 Running low on data?
Try Scrolla Lite. ➡️
Join our WhatsApp Channel
for news updates
Share this article
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Recent articles