The families of the three women murdered while attending an ANC meeting in Inanda blame the ruling party for their loved ones’ deaths.
Simnikiwe Makhanda, the boyfriend of Philisiwe Jili, one of the three women who died, said he will never forgive the ANC.
Jili, 37, Ncami Shange, 34, and Beatrice Dlamini, 75, were shot in a drive-by shooting at Buhlebethu Primary School in Inanda north of Durban on Saturday.
The school was the location of an ANC meeting held to nominate ward councillor candidates. As members jostle for the councillor positions, the process has been plagued by violence in many wards across the country.
Makhanda questioned why the ANC did not allocate any resources to ensure the safety of the people who attended the meeting.
“You can’t call such an important meeting and not ensure the safety of the people who are attending,” he told Scrolla.Africa.
“The blood of my girlfriend is on the hands of the ANC, and nothing they will do will change my mind about their party.”
Makhanda said it baffled him why the ANC had not organised the police to guard the venue.
“I can’t understand why the ANC left the community on its own when they know that many of the party members are trigger-happy hooligans,” said Makhanda.
Makhanda said he would not go out to register on the weekend as he fears for his life.
Jili and Makhanda, who had been in a relationship for six years, lived together in Inanda.
“I was planning on paying a lobola for her soon,” said Makhanda.
Beatrice Dlamini’s husband, Selby Dlamini, asked for space as he deals with the loss of his soulmate of 48 years.
ANC provincial leadership and Premier Sihle Zikalala visited the grieving families with other party leaders on Monday. The premier promised that the provincial government would help with the funerals.
Current ANC ward councillor Scebi Mkhwanazi said many people have told him that they feared going to register to vote on Saturday and Sunday.
Police have launched a manhunt for the killers. No arrests have so far been made.