‘We’re sending in the big guns’ – Cele

By Doreen Mokgolo

Minister of Police Bheki Cele ordered more police to be deployed in Soshanguve, Tshwane, on Tuesday following the tragic shooting of a five-year-old boy last week. 

“Police, you are not tourists in this area – your job is to make the lives of criminals difficult,” Cele said. 

“Members of the tactical response team and the national intervention unit –  and if necessary, we will also bring in the Special Task Force if there is resistance – have been deployed to take over the streets. Over 60 cars will be patrolling the streets.”

Cele was speaking during his visit to the crime-torn township where five-year-old Ditebogo Phalane Jr was shot and killed on Friday night by men who hijacked his father’s car.

Residents told the police minister to prioritise the eradication of crime in the area.

Cele said he wanted residents to feel the presence of the police.

“Once we are done with this area, residents should be able to sleep with their doors open. We must make a difference.  

“Young people should be able to walk alone when they want to. We should not convert houses to prisons where people lock their doors at 6pm because criminality has taken over,” he said.

Visiting the Phalane family, the police minister said they had added extra resources to assist the investigating team of detectives led by the provincial head of investigators, Major-General Mbuzo Khumalo.

“The team is working tirelessly to track down the suspects and has roped in other agencies, including IT experts, to assist in the investigation.

“We are trying to amass every other kind of capability we can to track down the suspects,” he said.

Meanwhile, Patriotic Alliance deputy president Kenny Kunene has offered a reward of R500,000 to anyone with information about the suspects’ whereabouts. 

Pictured above: Minister of Police Bheki Cele.

Image source: Supplied 

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Recent articles