Mpumalanga tavern massacre leaves eight dead

Listen to this article

By Everson Luhanga

Police have launched a manhunt for a group of suspects who shot and killed eight people in a mass shooting at a tavern in Mpumalanga in the early hours of Saturday.

Mpumalanga police spokesperson Colonel Jabu Ndubane said the shooting occurred at a liquor outlet in Pienaar, outside Nelspruit, Mpumalanga in the early hours of Saturday, 11 January.

“Six people (one female and five males) were killed at the scene, and two other victims died in hospital. Three other victims (two males and a female) are still receiving medical treatment after sustaining injuries during the incident,” said Ndubane.

She added that two VW Polos were found at the scene with bullet holes, and one of the victims was found dead inside one of the vehicles.

The motive behind the shooting is still unknown, and the circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation.

“A team of experts in the investigation field has been assembled to investigate the incident,” said Ndubane. “A 72-hour plan has been activated after the incident. No one has been arrested so far, and police are still in pursuit of the perpetrators.”

Police are appealing to the public for information that may assist in apprehending the suspects. People with information are urged to call the Crime Stop number 08600 10111 or send information via MYSAPSAPP. All information received will be treated as confidential, and callers may remain anonymous.

Pictured above: A crime scene at a liquor outlet in Pienaar, outside Nelspruit, Mpumalanga where eight people were shot and killed 

Source: SAPS

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Recent articles