KZN News Bites: Three ABC members killed

Sihle Mavuso presents the latest news from KwaZulu-Natal. 

Umzinto – The Abantu Batho Congress (ABC) in KwaZulu-Natal is in mourning following the abduction and killing of three of its members in the Umzinto municipality. The motive for the murder of councillor Qedukwazi Mzimela, Phumlani Mbutho and Senzo Ngema over the weekend is not known. The ABC, led by Philani PG Mavundla, called on the SAPS to leave no stone unturned in bringing the killers to justice. 

Ulundi – Chiefs (amakhosi) in the government-recognised KZN House of Traditional and Khoisan Leaders will outline a course of action following the incident when MEC Siboniso Duma grabbed the microphone from Reverend Thulasizwe Buthelezi, the traditional prime minister of the Zulu monarch and nation. It happened at KwaCeza on Saturday during the 110th commemoration of the death of King Dinuzulu kaCetshwayo as Buthelezi was about to introduce King Misuzulu kaZwelithini to speak. The press conference by the traditional leaders will be held in Ulundi on Wednesday.

Durban – A former SAPS warrant officer has been sentenced to 12 years in prison on two counts of corruption. Warrant Officer Claude Ince was stationed at Bellair police station as a detective. In May 2017, he was investigating a case of fraud and demanded R5,000 to destroy evidence against the accused. In a separate incident, while investigating a case of shoplifting, Ince demanded R3,000 to withdraw charges against the accused. The accused managed to pay R1,000 and did not attend court as per his instruction. 

Richards Bay – The City of Umhlathuze said the Lake Cubhu reservoir near Esikhawini is taking shape and the water woes experienced in areas like KwaDube, eSikhaleni, PD, Felixton, eNiwe, Unizulu (KwaDlangezwa), Vulindela and the whole of KwaMkhwanazi could soon be over. The municipality said the project will add 15-million additional litres of water and will pump clean water into the Lake Cubhu pumping line to the forest reservoirs. Last week the University of Zululand’s KwaDlangezwa campus had to suspend classes because of a lack of water in the area. 

Durban – The eThekwini municipality said it has resumed collecting rubbish after weeks of challenges that were brought about by an illegal strike by South African Municipal Workers Union members. Troubled residents can now leave refuse bags on the streets for collection.

Pictured above: Refuse collection in eThekwini. 

Image source: Supplied

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Recent articles