By Celani Sikhakhane
- The Zulu King closed the Royal Chancellor’s office on Friday after extortion allegations against Inkosi Malusi Zondi surfaced in a News24 report this week.
- The official statement from the Royal Prime Minister referred to Zondi only as “Mr Zondi,” not by his traditional title of Inkosi, stripping him of his standing in writing.
King Misuzulu kaZwelithini has fired his Royal Chancellor and shut down the office, days after a News24 investigation reported that Inkosi Malusi Zondi’s company sent an R8.5-million invoice to construction firm Stefanutti Stocks on the uMngeni-uThukela Water project in KwaZulu-Natal.
The announcement came on Friday afternoon. The King was meeting with senior management at Standard Bank when the statement was released by Royal Prime Minister Reverend Thulasizwe Buthelezi.
“His Majesty King Misuzulu kaZwelithini has, following a comprehensive review of the operational of the office of His Majesty, taken a decision to close the Private Office with immediate effect. His Majesty has also shut down the office of the Royal Chancellor with immediate effect,” Buthelezi said.
The statement thanked Zondi for his services. It did not use his traditional title. Throughout, he was referred to as “Mr Malusi Zondi,” not Inkosi Zondi.
All queries to the Royal Chancellor’s office will now be directed to the Prime Minister.
A News24 investigation reported that Zondi’s invoice billed Stefanutti Stocks for protecting the site and stopping delays. The report also said another company was already guarding the project. An unnamed industry insider described the invoice as a protection fee. uMngeni-uThukela Water spokesperson Siyabonga Maphumulo told News24 the payments were for real security work on a dangerous site.
Zondi denied the allegations and said he would take legal action.
Scrolla.Africa earlier reported that Zondi was admitted to a hospital in Umhlanga following the publication of the extortion claims. His spokesperson Wonderboy Jaca denied that Zondi had been hospitalised.
Zondi could not be reached for comment.
Pictured above: Inkosi Malusi Zondi has been fired as Royal Chancellor of the Zulu Kingdom with immediate effect following extortion allegations.
Image source: Inkosi Malusi Zondi Instagram






