BAYEDE! Court paves way for official crowning of Zulu King Misuzulu

Celani Sikhakhane & Zukile Majova

The ruling of the Pietermaritzburg High Court in favour of Zulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini has paved the way for the Zulu Nation to finally crown its ruler.

The Zulus and South Africans in general are understandably excited about the possibility of witnessing the crowning of a king of the modern 15 million-strong Zulu Nation.

At least three generations of South Africans have never witnessed this ceremony as the last king, His Majesty King Goodwill, was crowned in 1971 and remained in power for half a century.

South Africans who were alive at the time also missed out on watching the crowning because there was no television and social media.

This time around, millions in South Africa and the world will have a rare opportunity to watch history unfold right in front of their eyes.

To top it all, the Zulu Monarch is now richer than it has ever been in all history with an annual budget of over R60 million a year mainly from the public purse.

Millions more are collected from royalties through the Ingonyama Trust Fund which controls 30% of all the land in KwaZulu-Natal.

Wednesday’s ruling by the KZN Deputy Judge President Mjabuliseni Madondo dismissed prince Mbonisi Zulu from blocking the coronation.

Justice Madondo said the applications that were brought before the court by Prince Mbonisi, Queen Sibongile MaDlamini, and her daughters Princess Ntandoyenkosi and Princess Ntombizosuthu had nothing to do with the coronation of the king.

“Misuzulu KaZwelithini is the rightful heir to the throne. Also none of the applicants opposed his ascension to the throne. Even Prince Simakade Jackson kaZwelithini has never challenged the throne or accepted any nomination. Even if he accepts he won’t qualify,” said Judge Madondo.

Traditional Prime Minister to the Monarch Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi hailed the ruling and said it showed that the appointment of King Misuzulu kaZwelithini was not his own personal choice as claimed by a faction within the Zulu Royal Household.

The ruling may also see the Provincial Government release the R65 million annual budget that was supposed to be given to King Misuzulu last year.